Signs and Symptoms of Labor
- Regular, painful contractions
- Contractions occurring every 3-5 minutes for 1-2 hours getting progressively more uncomfortable where it is harder to talk and walk through these.
- Contractions growing stronger and occurring closer together over time
- â€śWater Breakingâ€ť
- Light vaginal bleeding/spotting
If you begin to experience these symptoms of labor we highly recommend you attempt at home comfort measures. Once these are regular please call the office and let us know you are ready to come in, if you are a patient of the midwifery service then call the midwife phone earlier when labor has started we like to keep in touch with our patients early.
Early Labor, at Home Comfort Measures
- Warm bath or shower
- Heating pad applied to low back, hips or neck/shoulders
- Take 2 Tylenol 325 mg tabs every 4 â€“ 6 hours
- Take 1-2 Benadryl 25 mg tabs once every day
- Continue to hydrate with water
- Continue to change position as needed including hands and knees, side lying, or sitting upright on a stool or birthing ball
- Gentle massage applied to your back or shoulders or hips by a support person, this can be done with a tennis ball for more localized pressure